Thursday, November 24, 2016

Stand Up For the Right to Be a Superwoman

“Stand for the right even if you have to stand alone”, a worldwide quote used to describe that no matter if you have anyone with you or even if you are alone do stand for the right things and right justice. This quote was taken up literally by Ieshia Evans. Some days back a photograph spread over the internet and newspaper in which a woman was seen standing crossed arms in front of a group of armed police men. That woman was Ieshia Evans, a superwoman to be précised for standing for the right justice even when she was all alone.

“It is in the abuse of power, not just by police officers but the entire judicial system, against black people. Abuse that culminates in the deadly shootings of men like Alton Sterling, whose killing in Baton Rouge drew me to Louisiana earlier this month. When Ferguson, Baltimore and other protests broke out, I would make selfish excuses. I couldn’t travel. I had to work in my job as a nurse, because I had to pay the bills. I remember the guilt of feeling that I should be there. This time, enough was enough. I had to do something. Too many people are being slaughtered by those who are employed to serve and protect us. It is becoming the norm. Our government is not doing anything for us. So we’re going to have to do something for ourselves. Baton Rouge was enlightening. It opened my eyes. I had been sleeping for years. I have been sleeping and now I’m awake. When the armored officers rushed at me, I had no fear. I wasn’t afraid”, wrote Ieshia Evans.

Being frustrated by the act of the local defense forces against the people of her color, Ieshia Evans decided to take a stand all alone to awaken those who were sleeping against the happening including her own people and the jurisdiction. It was a wakeup call for the President himself on who Ieshia Evans blamed that he wasn’t looking out for his people in the name of politics. So, Ieshia Evans first took the time to gather up the courage and gather knowledge and the right facts about the happenings, she decides to go against the wrong. She followed the ways a superwoman should do.

Stripped of her clothes in the police station, stripped of her self pride and respect in front of a crowd, stripped of her principles in the name of humanity, yet she never backed down and did what was right with courage and bravery. All these news and activities has made this superwoman get enlisted in the 100 women for 2016 in the list of five women defying expectations and boundaries around the world and Ieshia Evans will be speaking upon protest and resitance.

3 comments: